new knowledge, original post can be found here.
This post describes some of the tips and tricks that one may find useful when solving URL-based problems for their web server or web site. Each tip/trick has a description of a problem and then an example of how it can be solved with IIS 7 URL Rewrite Module.
- Add or Remove Trailing Slash
- Enforce Lower Case URLs
- Canonical Hostnames
- Redirect to HTTPS
- Return HTTP 503 Status Code in Response
- Prevent Image Hotlinking
- Reverse Proxy to Another Site/Server
- Preserve Protocol Prefix in Reverse Proxy
- Rewrite/Redirect Based on Query String Parameter
- Avoid Rewriting of Requests for ASP.NET Web Resources